Data Analytics & Data Science Position in Palo Alto, CA
Director of Analytics FTE salaried role
We are looking for a hands-on leader for our Data team. Someone who will help advance our data and analytics systems while also managing advanced analytics and data science projects. You will report into VP Analytics and will have the opportunity to define, build and shape our Data systems, Analytics and Data Science practice.
Role and Responsibility
- Conceptualize and lead a range of product insights, predictive modeling and data science projects across all the business areas: Growth, Merchandising, Marketplace operations and Product.
- Responsible to provide direction, day-to-day management and analytics review to the team of analysts and data scientists.
- Lead small to large projects that informs both day-to-day tactical decisions and long-term strategic vision. Interpret and present the findings to company executives and internal stakeholders as needed
- Plan, define and lead execution of Big data – Analytics systems development
- Identify new data instrumentation priorities and collaborate with data engineering team on the full execution from event modeling to data to Analytics ETL to Analytics tools/Analytics projects
- Partner with data engineering to determine the vision and roadmap for the data and analytics technology infrastructure that ensures reliable delivery of high-quality data and insights
- Manage and further develop on existing and new analytics technologies to enable easy access to key data insights through a range of dashboards
- Manage and lead enhancement of home grown real-time analytics platform. Evaluate external data and analytics platform vendors and bring-in new data/analytics platform partners as needed to provide exponential boost to value delivered by Data team.
- Lead development and implementation of scalable algorithms for a range of areas such as buyer activation, predicting next purchase, similar listings, inferring search query and user churn
- Represent the work of the Data team across the company, serving as a bridge, buffer and conduit between technical and non-technical groups
- Build deep partnerships with business, product management, and technology leaders
- Promote a culture of excellence, data driven discussions, healthy skepticism, knowledge sharing, expanding team’s skill set, teamwork, focus on client’s growth and fun
- Lead, hire, manage and mentor a team of analysts and data scientists
- Present in external conferences, publish innovative work and write blog posts
- 10+ years of experience in analytics, data science and business intelligence with increasing responsibility and at least 5 years in management and leadership capacity
- Solid experience in managing teams on internal/external delivery of short to long term advanced analytics project.
- Hands on experience working with Big data ideally clickstream data in high data volume sectors such as ecommerce, gaming, social network etc
- Domain expertise in subjects such as activation modeling, acquisition attribution, customer lifetime value, retention and attrition models, survival models, and experimental design (Multivariate/A-B testing)
- Strong understanding of data warehouse and data integration architectures and tools
- Ability to translate and present complex analysis in executive summaries. Excellent communication and project management skills
- Hands-on experience with at least few of the traditional and recent data science and modeling methodologies – linear/non-linear modeling, multiple regression, decision trees, random forest, neural net models, SVM, Ensembling models, deep learning algorithm and nonparametric bayesian modeling etc
- Proficiency in Spark-SQL, Spark ML, Hive, Python, and R
- M.S. in Statistics, Applied Mathematics or Computer Science is required. Ph.D. will be a plus.
- Experience in ecommerce industry is a big plus.
- Ability to balance long term strategic priorities with short term tactical needs
- Passionate, approachable, thoughtful, respectful to our team and customers
- Thrilled with challenges, unknowns and opportunity to define and build things
- Love mentoring and guiding others. Passionate about the advancement of whole team